Friday, January 1, 2010

Alphabet Soup






Is anybody interested in the world's languages? Good! I knew everyone would be. I found some interesting web sites pertaining to alphabets and ancient languages. There is even a font for hieroglyphics.

The first site is Omniglot, which gives a good background on the world's writing systems, language taxonomy and links to other interesting sites. The webmaster is Simon Ager and he lives in Britain. If I had my life to live over again, I would do exactly what he did. I have to see if we can exchange links.

I know the next question is whether there is a site dedicated to ancient Phoenician. Of course there is, and it is called Phoenicia.org. The webmaster, Salim Khalaf lives in the US and his site has over 1,600 pages. I think he's a genius because he knows English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Italian and Portuguese. There are some fonts there so you can generate documents in Phoenician.Again, some links will be nice in the future.

I know this is not enough for you, so I have more. For a paid font package for multiple alphabets, visit Juan J Marcos' website. He even has fonts for Cuneiform. The price is reasonable ($38) for private use. I really like the Olde English fonts.

There are hundreds of sites on this, it's making my head spin. My last entry for today is about Lawrence Lo and his website AncientScripts.com. This is some incredible stuff; Lawrence is a computer whiz and that makes sense. I really like that the best and most interesting material comes from and is expounded by enthusiasts. And he likes deserts and volcanoes, which makes him an official FindItByMe.com Fellow Traveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment